Category — Awards
Suydam’s Wolverine Origins #10 to be included in Spectrum 14
NYC Creative Group is proud to announce Arthur Suydam’s inclusion into Spectrum 14 with his piece, “Wolverine Origins,” an alternate cover of the Marvel series’ 10th issue. Many thanks to Marvel for the opportunity, and to all at Spectrum for their dedication to providing such a dignified forum for the fantasy art genre.
September 4, 2009 No Comments
Arthur Suydam was honored by Spectrum with its coveted “Gold Award for Institutional Art,” awarded for the finest fantasy illustration of the year. Suydam’s “Bike Race” was featured in Spectrum 12: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art.
The Spectrum awards for art are the result of an annual competition whose results are published in an annual anthology edited by Cathy Fenner & Arnie Fenner. Unlike a “best-of-the-year” literary anthology, winners are selected by a jury, whose members convene to make their selections in person from thousands of entries.
For more information, visit the SFWA website: http://www.sfwa.org/News/spectrum12.htm Below is the painting, “Bike Race,” from Suydam’s original property entitled “When Giants Walk the Earth,” currently under film option by Dark Horse Comics, which earned him this great honor.
September 4, 2009 No Comments
Artist Arthur Suydam has recently been inducted into the prestigious Society of Illustrators, joining the ranks of other noted American artists, including Norman Rockwell, N.C. Wyeth and Maxfield Parrish, to name only a few.
This sets off 2006 for Suydam, whose distinctions in the past year alone have included the coveted Spectrum Gold Award for Illustration, the Lifetime Achievement award from the San Sebastian Film Festival, San Sebastian, Spain, the Dragon Con Guest of Honor Award, and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
Recent works include:
- Covers for Marvel’s hit Zombie series – quotes Robert Kirkman “Man I LOVED those covers. They were great, and well done…also really inventive…Pretty great stuff.” The books have gone back for a historic 5th printing, and are the largest sellers in America!
- Suydam has been commissioned for a limited edition giclee of Batman – catch a sneak peek below!
- Simon & Shuster have commissioned Suydam for the cover their upcoming X-Men book.
- “Arthur Suydam: The Art of the Barbarian, Volume II,” produced by Image Comics, has hit the stands and is selling out quickly, joining Heavy Metal’s “Arthur Suydam: The Art of the Barbarian” hardcover edition, on stands now. The two volumes are considered by many the paradigm for illustration and literary essays of the barbarian genre.
- Vanguard Press, publishers of prestigious art books, has just come out with “The Fantastic Fantasy Art of Arthur Suydam,” and has been hailed as “one of the best compendiums of an artist’s work in years.”
- Suydam’s highly-acclaimed “Mudwogs II: Bringing up Baby” is currently being serialized in its entirety by Heavy Metal. This artwork has been hailed by the New York fine art community as the “link between fine art and comics arguably the finest comic art pages ever rendered.”
- Also coming in 2006 will be Paranoid Delusions’ production of the long-awaited animated film of Suydam’s iconic characters, Cholly & Flytrap.
Future projects include numerous convention appearances, international alliances and, of course, comics, comics, comics.
January 3, 2006 No Comments